Since the boat was last hauled back in 2015 before the start of the Caribbean trip, we thought it was about time to haul her again and check on everything. It would be nice to look at the hull and fittings without holding my breath.
The plan was simple, a new coat of bottom paint, clean and wax the hull, new coat of paint on the boot stripe, and new zincs all around.
At Old Bay Marina we paid $10 a foot for haul, power wash, blocking, and launch.
I bought 3 gallons of West Marine (Pettit) CPP Ablative bottom paint, $99 a gallon on the port supply account.
Paint supplies and new zincs ~ $55.
All told that’s around $772 for the complete job. Plus two days of our lives.
Getting to the marina is always an adventure. It’s actually the first time we’ve moved the boat since bringing it to Fell Point last year. We’ve been busy with other projects. Anyway, I left the fill valve for the heater day tank on and the engine supply line sucked a bunch of air through the open passage. Suddenly she was a sailboat yet again.
Another fun thing about getting to Old Bay is becoming a sled once you’re out in front of the marina. There’s about 6 feet of water at mid tide and you always end up pushing the keel through a few inches of mud to get to the travel lift slip. The proprietor at old bay told me he’s applied for permits to dredge around the marina so this problem should go away in the future (maybe).
So we pulled her out. The verdict? Not too bad! Barnacles on the drive gear and some places on the hull but overall the bottom was in great shape! I did dive on the boat and clean the hull from time to time while we were cruising, the last time being just north of the Rappahannock in August of last year. Still, not terrible for having an old bottom in the bay for 6 months!
After the boat had been hauled and blocked we set to work cleaning off under the straps and knocking off any loose paint. Rachel started the first coat of bottom paint and I began working on the stained hull. By the way, the “On and Off” brand cleaner is amazing for cleaning out the pores of our old gel coat. After cleaning I waxed the heck out of the entire hull to fill the pores and stay the inevitable staining for a bit longer than normal.
Finally, I painted scuffed and put a fresh coat of black on the bootstripe. Now we were running short on light and feeling tired from the long day of travel and boat work.
It sucks to live on the hard. Can’t use the sinks cause you’re 6 feet in the air! It was also quite chilly the next morning without that insulating water hugging the hull and keeping everything nice consistent 55 degrees. I found the marina owner after we had our coffee and moved up our launch to that afternoon. Now with a deadline, we set about completing the remaining tasks. Rachel set to work on the 2nd coat of bottom paint and I set off to track down the replacement zincs we needed.
Afternoon arrived. Then it passed. Waiting around until 7 pm and the travel-lift guy finally showed up. Rachel had a meeting in the city and would meet me back at the slip to catch the lines. With the sun setting Satori was lowered once again into the Patapsco, some 30 odd hours later. It would be dark before I arrived back in Baltimore. I hope those nav lights still work…